Thursday, 16 April 2015

T5W: most frustrating characters

Most of these characters were frustrating in a good way if that makes sense. U was still able to throrougly enjoy the book and the characters (except for the first one) so I just want to clarify that characters 2-5 were not characters I hated. 

  1. Chaol from the throne of glass series by Sarah J Mass - he is the most annoying character I gave ever read about (especially in crown of midnight). I disliked his attitude and the way Celaena acted around him. It was especially frustrating because the rest of the book was so amazing. 
  2. Celaena from the throne of glass series by Sarah J Mass - I have grown to love this character but at first I found her softer and more emotional character off putting as she was not my idea of a child assassin and she was also advertised as having a heart of steel. But once I got to know her and put my preconceptions aside I really loved her and her own brand of badass-ness. 
  3. Pella from The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach - this is an example of a character that is purposefully annoying and dislikable and definitely doesn't dampen the enjoyment of the book. Pella is very selfish and self-pitying at the start of the book and her story line follows her learning to be her own person and make the most of her life. 
  4. Josh Sundquist from his memoir We Should Hang Out Sometime - now I feel weird putting a real person on this list but I just had to. Josh was so hilarious and such a genuine person and I gave his book 5 stars but when we went through all his failed romances I was routing for him so hard and so often his own lack of self confidence would get in the way of him making the final move!
  5. Bella from Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - I loved this book when I was 13 but even then I found Bella's inability to choose between Edward and Jacob annoying. I think the whole girl-likes-two-guys-and-has-to-choose or the girl-likes-gy-but-then-another-bad-boy-cones-along-and-makes-her-doubt-her-relationship are troupes I'm just never going to be a fan of. In fact there were many girls in this situation that I could've added to this list but I didn't want it to be too repetitive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment