This year I have read my first two graphic novels: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean (illustrator) as well as the first volume of Scott Pilgrim by Brian Lee O'Malley.
It turns out I quite like this medium and would be excited to continue to explore it if it weren't for the price. The average cost for a basic graphic novel or Manga seems to be about £10 yet they only take an hour to read (and that's being generous).
Above is a few pictures from the pages of Arkham Asylum. The colours are vibrant and each page is a work of art printed on high gloss paper. I found myself spending ages on each page and revisiting it after I'd finished to examine and awe over the illustrations. This is a book I understand paying extra for and I am happy to do so.
Now this photo is from the Scott Pilgram graphic novel. With the images being in black and white and the pages being the normal paper you find in books. Now don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the story and I gave it four stars on Goodreads, but I won't be revisiting it over and over again. This is not to fault Brian Lee O'Malley as his format is by far the norm. In fact, I had to pay extra for Arkham Asylum.
Overall I really enjoyed my experience with graphic novels and, despite the price, I will be continuing to explore this medium. I'll definitely be continuing the Scott Pilgrim series (I also really want to read Blankets by Craig Thompson). I just wish they were cheaper!


No comments:
Post a Comment