Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Review: The Selfish Gene

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins



This is a non-fiction book so I am not really sure how to rate this. I gave it 3 (and a half) stars on Goodreads but I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in this area and will pick up more of his books at a later date. I had to read this for my Evolutionary Psychology class and it explores the idea that we are all controlled by our genetics and the "selfishness" of genes and our only purpose is to pass these genes along.
The idea is a really interesting one, and kind of scary too, with a lot of biological evidence to support it. It looks at this subject in a manner that is accessible to anyone, regardless of your level of education in the sciences, yet it manages to also be interesting to people who already know all the background material which I found impressive. I did, however, get bored during chapters 2 and 3 as he explained evolution and genetics which I have studies in depth before but he did manage to convey quite complex notions fairly quickly and concisely.
Dawkins looks at the topic from a variety of viewpoints including biological, psychological and even philosophical.
It definitely is worth a read if anyone is interested in this sort of thing and I think everyone should at least be aware of the concepts he discusses as they are very thought provoking and also might change the way people think about how they live their lives and the choices we all make.

Goodreads link.

No comments:

Post a Comment