By Laurie Halse Anderson
This was actually a reread for me although it was very different from my memories of it. I first read it three or four years ago and I remember loving it. Reading it now I still loved it but I found the content far more disturbing. It is about eating disorders, depression, self harm and suicide and I would definitely warn you if you think you may be triggered by these subjects to think twice before reading it. Although I do think the author represented these issues very well and realistically - There was no romanticising of Lia's illness and it was shown to be brutal and quiet frankly gruesome.
Lia has been struggling with her eating disorder for a very long time and has been hospitalised twice for it. She is meant to be recovering but she has no desire to do so. Her best friend, Cassie, dealt with similar problems but turned her back on her after her hospitalisation. On the night Cassie dies she phones Lia 33 times but Lia never picks up. Now she's being haunted by Cassie's memory and the overwhelming desire to be skinny, skinnier, skinniest. The author using a unique writing style to get Lia's compulsive and conflicted thoughts across to great effect.
Would cautiously recommend to any fan of similar stories, keeping in mind I found this far more triggering that any other book I have read that dealt with these issues.

No comments:
Post a Comment