Wednesday, 4 February 2015

T5W: Futuristic Reads

I found this list quite difficult to make without naming just dystopian novels. I haven't read much sci fi books but it's a genre I definitely want to get more into this year. 


  1. The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness   - This book takes place on another planet which people moved to after our own planet became to polluted. What I love about this world is that everyone that arrived on this new planet they destroyed all the technology so it has the feeling of being set both in the past and in the future. 
  2. Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde  - This book takes place in a sort of dystopian world where everything is in black and white and there is a hierarchy based on what colours people can see, with thoe Greys living as second class citizens. Eddie is a Red and is being punished for thinking outside the box.  Fforde's depiction of this future after The Something That Happened is hilarious and you can tell that the author is extremely smart through his writing.
  3. Unwind by Neil Shusterman  - there is no doubt this is a dystopian novel but it is one of my all time favourite books. In this society parents can send their teenagers off to be "unwound", where they are killed but with all their body parts being transplanted onto others. This book follows Conner, Risa and Lev as they try and run away after being sent to the unwinding camps. This book was really amazing with great characters and really intense moments that meant I couldn't put it down. 
  4. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff  - I read this book years ago but I remember it had such an impact on me with really moving scenes. This book takes place in World War III and seeing as the book is about young teenagers and children the reason for this is never explained, instead it shows the fallout. Daisy is sent over to the UK to live with cousins she's never met, but who seem to be able to read minds and talk to animals, in a hopes to keep her safe from the violence in America. Soon the war spreads to Britain too and the children are forced to run and split up; this is about them travelling through war torn England in an attempt to find each other again. 
  5. Rot and Ruin by Johnathon Maberry  - Benny Imura and his friends live in a post-apocalyptic world with wastelands overrun by zombies the only thing beyond the wall that encloses his town. Somehow, and I honestly don't know how, this book changed me. When I put it down I was stunned. I can't pinpoint what this book did that was so write but it did something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment